Sunday, September 28, 2008

It was cloudy and the moon barely managed to light up the sky. The silver beach lay behind me as I waded into the water until I was waist deep. I had this strong urge to walk on further. The water was icy cold and the sky near the horizon was inky black. A few stars glimmered in the west and almost called out to me. The waves crashed into the rocks behind and there lay a forest beyond.

They were all sitting in one corner and the faint sounds of laughter drifted across in the salty air. I had walked to the other end of the beach and stood there as the water and wind chilled my bones. Somehow all the laughter and the jokes and the fun vacation seemed a little distant in that moment. All I wanted was to sit in the red sandstone fortress. In the uncomfortable heat and grime and savour that moment of silence that spoke a million words. To walk in those lanes and start from the beginning and play out everything all over again.

No comments: