Thursday, January 19, 2012


Life has a funny way of coming round in circles. Some parts go missing inevitably. And some new pieces take their place. But the more the circle completes itself, one can only sit back and admire how things seem to find their place in the puzzle. Recently I read a book that movingly talked of retrospection, what the memory chooses to remember and the feelings that they evoke. Today the topic seems relevant.
Looking back at the year I can pick out more incidents that underscore this theme and why I have a weak spot for it. I remember flying into Delhi late one October night as the city prepared for Diwali. As I peered out of my cab speeding through the deserted streets and the winter tinted breeze gave me goose bumps, being accustomed to the temperate climes of the beach I had been living by, my thoughts settled on how with each passing year my life seemed to have progressed. To have moved from where it was and found a new spot to settle down in. Nudged forward by some inevitable force. I was happy to be in Delhi. And not Calcutta or Bombay or Bangalore, the other cities I know relatively well. My heart warmed on seeing houses decked up in lights in the dark night as I could almost feel the warmth inside the houses I saw. A new home awaited me.
Reminiscence once again broke the familiar pattern of life; old friend and I met up as the year drew to a close. College days and other insanities were relived over a few happy hours our money paid for in a mall. And today, again, I look ahead anxiously wondering where I’m headed (quite literally). There is absolutely no certainty to gather comfort from. And despite the reassuring circles completing themselves and familiar pieces coming back to fill in the gaps, there still is unrest in my head. 

No comments: