Saturday, May 14, 2005

summer time bluz...

My urge to write has outrun my ideas. Just can't think of ANYthing. Well am enjoying a much deserved layoff from college. In the middle (rather not quite yet) of the blistering summers which only a tropical country resident can identify with. Yes Calcuta is bad enough. But, hell, never had so much of "peace" in mah life. You know these kind of vacations are rare to come by. You wake up late, breakfast is ready. Watch TV until noon, have lunch, surf the net, sleep, TV, dinner, read'in(to) sleep. And the whole process repeats itself. The sequence needs changing for a bit of variety. The thing that sustains you is that you keep making plans of doing something useful and worthwhile and daydreaming about how worthwhile it shall be, keeps you ticking.

Yes it could be called an absolute waste of time. I often feel that. Its kind of a paradoxical thing. You want to take time out and relax, and when you do that you feel like you could actually use the free time and do something useful. Hobbies I guess are the things that plug this gap. Things that you do in your free time= hobbies.

My house is like almost on a beach considering the amount of breeze that blows almost every summer evening. Its so lovely! Cold breeze on a summers evening is nearest thing to a heavenly experience anyone can get.

Well I’m planning a trip to the hills. It’s the time for my annual yearly pilgrimage: summer vacations. Was planning on the Sandakphu but people advised me against it since apparently rains there during this time of the year. That and the other deterrent being the lack of a travel mate has probably put off the Sandakphu trek for good. I mean I have my friends who’re along with me also participate in this annual ritual. But they aren’t into trekking, and well a 3 day (!!) trek… hell no way! So instead I was looking for alternative destinations and I think I’ve found a few. West Sikkim seems to be very promising, right at the base of Kanchenjongha: Yuksom and Pelling are the places. Though I’d rather prefer Yuksom. It’s further off and more remote.

Mountains are my favourite destinations because they’re (I believe) more mysterious. You can easily get lost on a mountain, you can explore for your own by taking the next dirt path running up the side of the hill. You walk along the path and come across a small gumpha. Or some villagers hut. Or some local kids playing, and they’d ask you about the plains and about Shah Rukh Khan’s latest movie.

Beaches are only fun as long as you don’t get bored of bathing in the waters. And after that the fun’s over, yes you may go shop and get yourself some souvenirs, like those made of shells and stuff at the evening bazaar on the beach that’s lit up with hissing gas lights.

This is the way things are holding up at present. Hope they don’t change much.

No comments: