Saturday, August 21, 2010

Oil on canvas

I guess I can say with some surety now, me and oil paintings, we'll go the distance. After the catastrophe that was my first oil on canvas the second has turned out to be rather presentable. Hopefully the subsequent ones shall raise or meet the bar or even if the bar tanks, it won't be very difficult to ignore it.

Oil on canvas seems to be a relatively easy medium as you can keep working on the same piece over and over again for a couple of days since one painting could take over a month to dry completely. So a painting's never really lost as long as you keep working on it. Of course the flip side is one could worsen it further with contrary intentions. The most amazing thing about the medium is the flexibility of being able to add layers on layers and therefore adding multiple dimensions to a painting. Once someone is a little adept, painting really is SO much about a painter's point of view, a personal interpretation of the subject.

I think it satisfies my inner being, this deeply philosophical, extremely serious, bearded dude in constant need for complexity. But it's nice to have a potential new hobby. And that too a rather fancy sounding one.

Do look up Leonid Afremov to see what force is required to turn a dreamy vegetable like me to go and buy art supplies and finally get down to painting.

No comments: